Waikato Badminton updates regarding Coronavirus / COVID-19 (19 March 2020)
Waikato Badminton continues to monitor the Coronavirus situation closely and is following the Ministry of Health’s advice in consultation with local authorities and other stakeholders including Badminton New Zealand. To check for the latest updates, refer to https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus.
Badminton New Zealand has suspended or postponed all Badminton New Zealand led events and programs from Monday 23rd March to Monday 27th April 2020 with continuous review. Waikato Badminton will continue to monitor the evolving situation and deliver its own events and programs on a case-by-case basis, with added precautions.
Here’s what we’re doing:
- Having the Eastlink Badminton Stadium’s high traffic areas cleaned more frequently.
- Ensuring all contact details of participants accessing WBA events/programs are clearly identified.
- Minimising participation numbers during sanctioned WBA events/programs (less than 100 persons) by restricting facility access to essential (and known) participants (eg. players, coaches, match officials, staff and volunteers involved in operations and parents/guardians of participants).
- WBA staff to provide WBA event/program participants with constant reminders of best hygiene practices (especially washing hands and social distancing).
- Providing WBA event/program participants with an opportunity to withdraw from any activity at their personal discretion.
This decision does not restrict Clubs from continuing to deliver their regular programs but we strongly recommend that serious consideration is taken, including ensuring that all Clubs and/or Playing Groups update their databases as a priority to capture contact details of every Member AND Visitor who participates in badminton, regardless of the facility utilised. Most importantly, organisations, clubs and individuals can elect to participate or not to participate in any activity at their personal discretion/risk.
A reminder that the following people should not attend WBA events / programs / facilities:
- Anyone who is feeling unwell;
- Anyone who has been in contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19;
- Anyone who has been outside of New Zealand in the preceding 14 days.
Fundamental to this is to wash our hands BEFORE, DURING, AND AFTER a session and maintain social distancing between all participants. We understand this is more difficult for children but please encourage everyone to follow these best practices:
- Avoid touching the eyes, nose and mouth (as hands touch many surfaces which can be contaminated).
- When coughing/sneezing, cover your mouth and nose with a flexed elbow or tissue (discard tissue immediately into a closed bin and clean your hands with soap and water).
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly (at least 20 seconds on every part of the hand). Use soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand rub even if your hands are not visibly dirty.
- Maintain social distancing (at least 1 metre/3 feet distance between yourself and other people if possible). Instead of handshaking/high fives, try other alternative, safe and fun ways to acknowledge friendship and celebration without physical contact. These could be a verbal thank you, a bow, an elbow bump, a foot tap, or a simple tap with the racket.
We thank you for your understanding during this challenging time. We will stay in touch and be in contact with further updates as new information comes to hand. It is important that you all look after your physical and mental wellbeing at this time. If you have any concerns about your health or others, please ensure you immediately inform WBA Staff, seek advice from a suitably qualified medical professional or contact Healthline at 0800 358 5453.
Thank you for your cooperation and please contact us if you have any questions.